the Evil Network

Not necessarily evil, but not necessarily good...

Zoinks! Magazine | Nerdflood

Monday, November 21, 2005

Jak & Daxter review


Posted by Dacquin at 8:14 PM
GamingYou know, there are some games that I love and wish they’d make more sequels of. I love Ratchet & Clank and am playing the second one and loving that one. When I play Jak & Daxter, I don’t see three sequels in it. It’s a decent game, but there’s really not much to it that makes it that interesting.

The basis of the game is that there’s some commotion going on and you have to investigate it, while helping your friend Daxter revert back to his original form after he fell into some dark eco and transforming into a small furry animal. To do this, you have to go around the islands collecting power cells in order to get into the next world. In each world, there are four areas where you can collect power cells, being able to collect up to 101 in total.

The first thing I took note of was the dialog. It was mediocre at best. I didn’t care for the banter between Daxter and everyone else in the game. Ad the fact you never hear a word from Jak, so there’s no partner dialog that I loved so much in the R&C series. Also, there’s a general sense of negativity between the good guys, and I can’t explain why that even exists. There’s nothing technical explained about the objects you’re collecting, plus you don’t learn much about eco, just that dark ego is evil stuff.

The gameplay is decent, but it’s not excellent. You can kick, punch, double jump, grab onto ledges, everything a cookie cutter action/adventure game needs. There are places where you can grab various colors of eco to help you in your quest. Green eco affects your health, yellow eco allows you to shoot at your enemies, red eco makes you stronger, and blue eco charges objects, like moving platforms or hidden precursor orbs bins that allows you get orbs and use them to buy power cells.

You also have two vehicles that you use in various points of the game: the A-Grav Zoomer and the Flut Flut. Through the game, you get to use the Zoomer to advance to the different areas and to collect more power cells. While it’s fun to use the Zoomer, you don’t get to utilize the Flut Flut as much as I would have liked, and it’s use is minimal because you only really use it in two small areas of the game.

I didn’t see how this got made into a sequel. I don’t see how every gaming site has given this a 9/10. It disappointed me in many areas of the game and I felt it could easily be improved and been made slightly more difficult in many areas. The dialog was unimaginative and not at all comical. Plus, to add insult to injury, the secret ending blew (Don’t try and get one hundred power cells and the beat the game. It’s a waste of time, unless this extra movie leads to Jak 2, but I’m not going to find out).

I give the game a 6.2/10. If somewhere in the game Daxter died, I would’ve given this an 8/10 (and I’m not kidding).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

We've moved!