the Evil Network

Not necessarily evil, but not necessarily good...

Zoinks! Magazine | Nerdflood

Monday, November 28, 2005

Dragon Quest 8 - First Impressions


Link: http://www.dragonquest8.com
Posted by Dacquin at 6:24 AM
GamingWith my free time now, I've been concentrated on playing Dragon Quest 8. I haven't played a good RPG in a while and the last one left a funky taste in my mouth (Xenosaga Ep. 1 suuuuuuuuucked). Right now, this game is what the doctor ordered.

The first thing that caught my eye were the enemies. I've never seen enemies so wonderfully created and animated before in ANY RPG I've ever played. One example is the cats. They're so cute and extremely funny. You have to fight them, but sometimes instead of attacking, they'll clean their face or want to play. Imps will try and casts spells at you and humorously fall to the ground because they don't have the MP to cast them. Also, you can look up what monsters you killed and get background information on them, which is useful if there's certain enemies you want to find weakpoints on.

All the characters are well designed. Again, we get the silent but strong hero type (which I hated from Jak in Jak & Daxter) traveling with his comrades trying to find and destroy the Evil Douhlmagus who seems to want to destroy the world, alongside curing your king from being turned into a monster and avenging Jessica's brother's death. Oh, I'll tell the rest in a review after I beat this game.

Nothing has been disappointing so far, except for finding places to save. Usually in huge RPGs, there are save points everywhere. Instead you have to speak to priests in town in order to save. I'm one of those save 50 times a day on one game type of person. So far, this is my only real beef w/ the game.

Well, that and the spacious running. You get the privilege to run, and run, and run, to where you're going. It takes up quite a bit of time and while I enjoy fighting monsters for experience, I'd rather reach my destination in 1 minute then 5 minutes.

I just discovered an Alchemy Pot in the game. This item lets you combine items so that you can create more powerful herbs and weapons in the game. So far, I haven't made weapons yet, but I'm sure it'll be very useful in the future.

Well back to gaming. Hee hee, the kitty wants to play (trust me it's very entertaining).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

We've moved!