the Evil Network

Not necessarily evil, but not necessarily good...

Zoinks! Magazine | Nerdflood

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Yahoo IM + MSN IM = cahoots?


Link: http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_Yahoo_to_Link_IM_Networks/1129075667
Posted by Savage Alien at 10:13 PM
InternetWell it's a start. Microsoft and Yahoo announced on Wednesday that starting sometime in the second quarter of 2006 Yahoo! Messenger and MSN Messenger users will be able to "see when friends are online, share IMs and emoticons, easily add new contacts from either service to their Messenger Lists, and more". There's possibly even talk between Microsoft and Time Warner to hook up with some AIM action as well.

Although interesting and useful as it may be, would this not create more "friendly competition" between the IM clients? You could use either the Yahoo or the MSN version [possibly AIM in time as well]. Although, there's always the concern that the officially IM programs are chalk full of useless ads and such. This is just one reason for people to not switch over to something like Trillian which allow you to chat with anyone on almost any IM service. I used to belong to the Trillian crowd, did it for several years. However, that was long ago; in the more recent years I have converted back to MSN Messenger seeing as how I could find practically all my contacts on the one service. Several hacks can make the annoyances go away so I have never bothered to look back.

In the end, Microsoft will no doubt earn points from Yahoo! IM gamers come the release of the XBOX 360 which will have MSN Messenger integration, so now Yahoo! users can chat on the 360 and not feel left.

For more information and background check out this article.

2 Comments:
10/14/2005 12:45 PM: Blogger Nathaniel said...

I still prefer Trillian. If for no other reason than the fact that I have at least 1 friend/family on each IM app.

comment permanent link  
10/14/2005 2:15 PM: Blogger Nathaniel said...

OK, I just went through and cleaned up my contacts list and realized that I really only have a handful of MSN contacts. Maybe I don't really need Trillian like I thought I did.

Or maybe I just need more friends. =(

comment permanent link  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

We've moved!