the Evil Network

Not necessarily evil, but not necessarily good...

Zoinks! Magazine | Nerdflood

Saturday, September 10, 2005

The Lost Interest of Adventure Gaming and the start of the Weekly Adventure Review


Link: http://evilnetwork.blogspot.com/
Posted by Dacquin at 8:03 PM
GamingOn Tuesday, I receive Psychonauts and I automatically fell in love with it. The humor, the gameplay, I mean, it’s an awesome game. The main reason I wanted to get it was because of a person who designed the game, Tim Schafer. Tim was the person who led games like Maniac Mansion 2: Day of the Tentacle and, a personal favorite, Grim Fandango. It get me to think, what type of adventure games are there today? What interest exists out there for it?

You know what my friends said? None.

They wanted me to define Adventure in my own words. Personally, an adventure game is a game where you have to use your wits to complete your game, rather than hand-eye co-ordination. You can die, but you have to think of how to complete puzzles, how to get further through the game, and figure out what’s happening around you. The game HAS to have a detailed story, it has to be well executed, and it has to be interesting, as well as having intriguing twists and turns along the way.

Don’t get me wrong, I like playing many types of games, but what’s really neglected now are these kind. Lucasarts canned Sam & Max because they felt that there wasn’t a market for it. Trust me, I would’ve jumped right on that game in a heartbeat. Right now, there’s a Bone video game in the making that should be good *crossing fingers*.

That’s why, in an effort to get people interested in adventure games again, I’m going to review an adventure game every Friday. I’ll post pictures, give you the general plot, and tell you why you need to play it. If there’s a game you want me to review, let me know. Right now, I have about 25 games on my list, but if you have one you’re rather me try, I’ll do it.

Get ready for my first review on Friday!

1 Comments:
9/12/2005 2:52 PM: Blogger Nathaniel said...

Don't forget Beyond Good & Evil! Dear lord, if you hold a discussion regarding Adventure games don't you DARE forget Beyond Good & Evil!!! You will be removed from the Evil Network permanently if you even attempt to ignore such a masterpiece.

comment permanent link  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

We've moved!