the Evil Network

Not necessarily evil, but not necessarily good...

Zoinks! Magazine | Nerdflood

Thursday, June 16, 2005

If only we had an office in Cancun...


Posted by Nathaniel at 10:53 AM
I haven't posted for a few days, and I realize this, and I apologize. The truth is, recently my mind has been elsewhere. Namely, Mexico (which is where the rest of me happens to be, as well).

Now, consider this: I have lived a very secluded life. I currently reside in central Iowa, and I have been as far north as Leech Lake in northern Minnesota, as far south as Bolivar, Missouri. My eastern-most reach was a job interview in Clinton, Iowa (nestled away in the "pig-snout" of the state). And to complete the panorama, my furthest venture west was Omaha, Nebraska.

That's it. That's the length, width, height and depth of my traveling experience. Yet, here I am. In Mexico. More appropriately, I'm in the city of Zapopan, a suburb of Guadalajara, in the fine state of Jalisco. Find it on a map.

How did this happen? Well, I have really no earthly idea. We just finished a huge project here in the US, but this is only step 1. Now we need to do the same thing in our other worldwide offices. A Europe implementation is under way, with one to follow in our Singapore office. And me? I volunteered for Mexico. Why Mexico? Once again, I have really no earthly idea. Well, maybe I do.

I suppose more than anything, I want more experience managing projects. So, this is an opportunity in one way because this project is mine to control (and fail, but hey, that comes with the credentials). And I knew that if I had an opportunity to travel anywhere, I should take it, because, honestly, I'm lived a sheltered life, and I really need to experience some culture shock to get my focus beyond my little, tiny, comfy, cozy central Iowa universe.

But Mexico? Yeah. My head is spinning, too.

And to make the culture shock that much more complicated, Guadalajara/Zapopan is roughly 4,832 times the size of Des Moines. There's about 6 million people here, and that much is obvious, because the streets are basically lined with people. It's insane.

And don't get me started on the language barriers. Yo habla un poco Espanol, and it's getting only marginally better. Before my next trip, I need to unpack a couple of linguistics books from college and get reaquianted with language analysis.

Oh, yeah - another trip. Did I mention that this is just one of four? All told, before the end of the summer, I will have spent a total of 33 days here in Mexico.

I'll talk more later, but communication will be sparse. Not for lack of access, mind you, Mexico is thankfully just as wired as the US as far as I can tell. No, it's mainly due to the fact that in order to keep from going insane and getting extremely homesick, I'm completely pouring myself into the work I need to do here. So, expect the usual non-existence from me, but maybe the others can make up for the Setebos-neglect you will be experiencing for the next few days.

Later on, I'll talk about my very first flight. Wow.....

1 Comments:
6/16/2005 1:11 PM: Anonymous Joe Terry said...

Congratulations amigo! I've been all over the US (current count: 31 states) but never Mexico. Here's to a safe trip and safe summer of travelling. Yes, work is good, homesickness is to be expected, but do enjoy yourself and the places you go!

comment permanent link  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

We've moved!