the Evil Network

Not necessarily evil, but not necessarily good...

Zoinks! Magazine | Nerdflood

Monday, January 24, 2005

OverClocked Remix Torrents


Link: http://www.ocremix.org
Posted by Nathaniel at 1:19 PM
Music This weekend I downloaded the entire OverClocked Remix mp3 library via their available bit torrents that divide their library into three easily-digestible torrent files. It was my first experience using a program called Bit Tornado, and I have to say, I walked away impressed. I'm more impressed, however, that in the span of about 5-6 hours I downloaded roughly 1,208 mp3 files. That's the benefit of having high-speed internet in a relatively secluded rural area. I think it helps that at one point I was connected with 25 peers and 17 seeds. Whatever that means. At least, I think that's a good thing. It sure sounds good.

If you haven't already been listening to OverClocked Remix, you should check it out. Various artists submit remixes of new and old video game music. A panel of judges decide what gets posted, so I can concur that almost the entire library is excellent. I could do without a few of the Sonic songs, but that's personal preference. In any case, the torrents are worth the download just to have all that music conveniently stored on your hard drive. Or, if you prefer to stream, you could always give OCRemix@ormgas a try. I did, and loved their service completely.

5 Comments:
1/25/2005 11:42 AM: Blogger ArshrAAm said...

BitTorrent is a wonderful thing (except in the hands of companies like Blizzard :p). I use ABC, which is based on BitTornado. Seeds are the important number, as they're the people that have the whole file or collection of files avaiable to upload. Peers are the ones downloading the file, while uploading a little bit of what they have at the same time.

comment permanent link  
1/25/2005 1:41 PM: Blogger Nathaniel said...

Ah! I wasn't sure if being connected to seeds was more important than peers. Thanks for helping me understand that a little better.

Now if I could just figure out what my "Share Rating" means, and why the number is red with a frowning face next to it...

comment permanent link  
1/26/2005 9:57 AM: Blogger ArshrAAm said...

I'm pretty sure it's how much of the file your sharing. It'll be a nice green :-) when you share the whole thing.

comment permanent link  
1/26/2005 12:58 PM: Blogger Nathaniel said...

I don't like to share.....

comment permanent link  
1/26/2005 3:27 PM: Blogger ArshrAAm said...

:-(

comment permanent link  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

We've moved!