the Evil Network

Not necessarily evil, but not necessarily good...

Zoinks! Magazine | Nerdflood

Friday, November 19, 2004

Super Monkey Ball Review (GC)


Posted by Nathaniel at 9:21 PM
by Dacquin

Day 1: Going through the used games at the local Book & Music Exchange, I see Super Monkey Ball, a game I remembered playing at a friend’s apartment and thought it was fun. I picked it up and purchased it, not knowing what all to expect.

Day 2:I played the solo games and came to a realization. The Expert levels are impossible to get to play. (more in depth in the review).

Day 3: So, after earning enough points, I unlock all the games and realize I need a friend to play this with because it’s more fun not having to play with yourself. But, it’s still heckafun.

----------------------

My opinion?

Loved it (4.2/5.0)

Of course, if I had a friend around to play w/ me, I know I’d really love this game. The game has so many extras that if you’re bored, you can just pop in this game, pick something at random and you can enjoy whatever it was you chose. Of course, you have to unlock three of the games (Monkey Billiards, Golf, and Bowling), but once you get through that task, it’s all good. There’s nothing real complicated with any of the games, so that means you can pretty much pick up the basics in no time at all.

The solo game is pretty much an extreme Marble Madness (how many gamers remember that?). You can choose between four monkeys (AiAi, MeeMee, GonGon, and Baby), who may or may not have distinct abilities, I don’t know, or really haven’t thought about it since I just pick one at random. The objective is to get through the stages by guiding the ball to the goal to advance. If you’re good enough and don’t fall or run out of time through all the Beginner or Advanced levels, you get extra stages, which are very cool to play.

In a nutshell, there are lots of games meant for multiplayer (and single player too, just more fun w/ others.) Monkey racing has 6 courses where you race 3 laps and try to beat your opponents using weapons along the track. Monkey Fight is taking a boxing glove, and trying to knock your three opponents off the ring as many times as possible in 60 seconds. Monkey Target is where you roll off a ramp, and land on targets to try and get the best score possible in 10 jumps. The three unlockables are Billiards, Minigolf, and Bowling, which play like Billiards, Minigolf, and Bowling.

The major thing I hate about the game is Expert mode. Particularly, Level 7. Level 7 prevents you from playing the rest of the 43 expert levels in peace because it’s near impossible to get through and will waste all of your continues just to get to the second part of the level. That brings me to the next gripe. In order to get unlimited continues, after you unlocked the games, you can unlock more continues (you start with five). When you get to nine, if you upgrade once more, you get unlimited continues. Upgrading meant for me playing Advanced over and over and over again because it’s useless to play Expert to earn enough points. And I STILL can’t beat Level 7.

Despite that major flaw, I highly recommend this game to anyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

We've moved!