the Evil Network

Not necessarily evil, but not necessarily good...

Zoinks! Magazine | Nerdflood

Saturday, July 10, 2004

Talk about a facelift


Posted by Nathaniel at 4:53 PM
1up.com has been redesigned, and I'm experiencing mixed emotions. For one thing, it's covered in Flash. Absolutely caked with the stuff. It's so Flash-intensive, that even my massively-overpowered work computer can't load the site at a reasonable speed. It's horrendous. Match that with an overwhelming amount of crap (read: advertising) on the front page, completely distorting the landing page information and effectively hiding that intrusive 'game content' from nosy readers. It's enough to make you sick. Of course, on the other hand, they're attempting to do something really cool with their user-created gaming blogs and robust friend connection and club systems. This style of community resonates with the current blogging generation of internet users who wish to share every aspect of their personal lives with a wider audience. And which group is more in tune with this style of community? Well, the gaming demographic, silly! It's really a perfect combination, and I'm looking forward to seeing this occur more frequently as forums and bulletin boards slowly get phased out, and get replaced with more blogs, chat, and online awareness programs. It will take a while to get the perfect blend together, though. 1up gets a 'Valiant Effort' award, but they aren't there yet. Since it's only recently launched, I'll give them some time to streamline and figure out why it isn't God's gift to gamers just yet. They definitely get the 'Pioneer' award, though, and I truly hope this catches on. We'll have to wait and see.

In the meantime, check out my member area. I doubt I'll start a blog there, too. I can't physically maintain that many blog systems at once. But it'll be fun to see how this system works out and grows over time. I'll keep you updated as to whether or not I think it's a success. Or, you can try it out with me.

More later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

We've moved!